31.1.07

And still of a winter's night, they say, when the wind is in the trees/When the moon is a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas

That's a cool poem, by the way. Just so you know.

It's freezing cold in here, with the 'here' in question being my dorm room. They turned the heat off over break, and though they've turned it back on, it takes awhile to warm the place up. So until then, I'm sleeping in 3 layers of clothes under every blanket I own, and wearing gloves and sweaters. It's becoming a bit absurd, but I suppose the feeling will come back to my fingers eventually, right? Ha, that was a joke. *pause* Or not. Your choice, really.

I saw Charity for the first time since December, she's such a sweet girl, and a sincerely nice person--so it's not like I can be mean to her, even if I wanted to, which I don't. I mean, come on, she likes the same books I do, and even quotes from them. It doesn't get much better than that. Well, okay, so it probably does. But I'm not trying to be literal here, even though I generally prefer literal over symbolic, because let's face it, symbolism causes more problems than it's worth. Anything can be read into anything, and, after awhile, it becomes absolutely ridiculous. I'm an English major, I should know, I've read essays about it. For example, the stanza structure in John Keats' 'Ode to a Nightingale' reinforces the concept of debauching to numb the pain, because each stanza looks like a wine goblet. Yes, it's dumb, I'm fully aware of that. But whoever it was who wrote it, is apparently important enough to have it published in a scholarly journal somewhere.

But I digress. I mentioned Charity because she got me a beautiful--there's not really another applicable word for it--journal. It's got thick, good-quality paper with gilt edging, it's solidly-bound and has a tan leather cover imprinted with an Old-World map. I love it. It was all I could do to not 'squee' right there, but I managed it.

It's looking to be an...interesting semester. If you really want to know, drop me a line. Otherwise, it's interesting, and leave it at that.

No comments: