12.3.09

I'm going home/Gonna load my shotgun

I'm a bit ashamed of myself. I suppose that requires some explanation, doesn't it?
I've caved. I've never thought much of the idea of buying perfume online when you've never smelled it before, because, I mean, come on, people, just because something is described as "a light floral scent with slight citrus undertones" doesn't mean it actually smells good. And even if it does smell good on Cindy Lou Who, everybody's body chemistry is different and just because it smells fantastic on Cindy Lou doesn't mean it will be even remotely tolerable on me.
And yet fifteen minutes ago I went online to this (admittedly very, very cool website) and bought six "imp's ears," also known as "imps" (they're 0.5 mL samples) of perfumes. *headdesk* Granted, if even one of them smells good on me I'll probably buy a full-size bottle of it, but still...
I've been wearing the same perfume for...oh, gosh, five years now, I think. Maybe a little less. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the scent ("Rich floral fragrance captivates the senses with a heart of water hyacinth, brightened with mandarin and blond woods.") but it would be nice to have a little bit of variety once in a while. And it will only be once in a while, because by my calculations, I'd be paying three times as much for the new perfume as I do for the old one, were I to buy a same-sized bottle.
Oh, I suppose I should probably plug the site a bit; it's the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, and it has literally hundreds of different scents to choose from. The site itself is rather nifty, and you can buy samples of almost anything; you can't, however, buy samples of the Neil Gaiman- or Terry Pratchett-themed scents, which sucks because they sound interesting and I'd like to try a couple of them, just to say I have "Agness Nutter" scented perfume, but...I'm not willing to pay full price for something that could very well smell horrible on me. For example, this one perfume I've tried sounds quite nice ("Our fragrance interplays fresh, vibrant notes--ruby red grapefruit, bergamot--with soft, sensual ones--Hawaiian wedding flower, spring mimose") and it just so happens to smell like puke on me. No, I'm not kidding.
So, anyway, these are the ones I ordered, and I will let you know how they turn out, when I receive them in two to three weeks.

Cheshire Cat (can't imagine why I picked this one!)--Grapefruit, red currant, dark musk, Roman chamomile, delphinium, and lavender.
Ok, ok, confession. This doesn't actually sound appealing to me, but it's the Cheshire Cat; I mean, come on, people!

Two, Five, & Seven- A huge bouquet of squished rose petals: Bulgarian rose, Somalian rose, Turkish rose, Damascus rose, red and white rose, tea rose, wine rose, shrub roses, rose, rose, rose... and just an itty bitty bit of green grass.

Queen of Hearts- Lily of the valley, Calla lily, stephanotis and a drop of red cherry.

Tiger Lily- A feisty bouquet of golden, warm, gently honeyed lilies.

Epitaph- Roses and funeral lilies perceived, faintly, though an indistinct, ghostly mist.

Dirty- A fresh, crisp white linen scent: perfectly clean, perfectly breezy.


So, we'll see how they turn out. I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

No comments: