14.9.08

I believe the world is burning to the ground/Oh, well. I guess we're gonna find out

So I started reading The Historian again last night, and I still love it as much this time as I did the last two times I've read it. It's a beautifully crafted story, so well crafted that, unless you're looking for it, you don't notice that you never learn the main character's name. Plus it has vampires, which makes it even better.
It's cold in my room. It's like fifty-something outside, and my room is...colder than that. The rest of my house has central air, but, as I keep repeating, my room does not. So I'm wrapped up in blankets and shivering just a bit. I can't find one of my slippers, so instead of being sensible and putting on extra socks (or something along those lines), I've just jammed both my feet into the slipper I could find. Yes, this is how my mind works.
My team won today, thereby restoring themselves to my good graces after their ignominious defeat last week at the hands of the (shudder) Bears. Granted, they almost lost, and to the Vikings, no less, but they pulled it off in the end, and that's what really matters. Granted, it means that my boss is going to be in a foul mood tomorrow, as she is rather a die-hard Vikings fan, but I think that as long as I don't wander around cheering "Go Colts!" I should be ok. As long as she doesn't remember that the Colts are my team. And I had to explain some of the rules of football to my mom, which was weird, because I never thought I knew enough about football to explain some of the technicalities to someone else, but apparently I do. My dad was in the room at the time, and he was very proud.
My sister bought (actually, my mom bought for my sister) the fifth Artemis Fowl book. I'm tempted to pick it up and read it, because it takes Joj forever and a day to finish a book, but I've got about a dozen books of my own to read, first, so maybe later this week I'll get around to it. We'll see. I've got other things to do, first, though. Like hope and pray I can...well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Or I will, anyway. Maybe. If the world decides to slant things in my favour for once.
My brother S.'s insulin pump stopped working on either Friday or Saturday, (I don't remember which because my days all run together) which was bad, because he's a freaking diabetic and kinda sorta needs insulin to stay alive. He called the doctor and they told him they'd see him on Monday for it, which is stupid because like I just said, he's a diabetic and it needed to be fixed immediately. I'm not sure what he did, because I don't think he carries around spare vials of the stuff just in case his pump breaks. He'll cope, I know, because he's good at coping (far better than I am, in any case; but really that shouldn't be surprising because I can barely cope with normal stuff and so even your standard, everyday run-of-the-mill crisis tends to send me into histrionics) but I do have to admit I'm a bit curious to see if he managed to do something creative about it. He's a creative one, my brother. Ask me about his Cuba travel journal, or his paper on the ancient Phoenicians. He makes me look like I don't have a creative bone in my body. Which I very well may not, but that's totally beside the point.

No comments: